Thinking about hiring resume writers? With rising competition in the job market, the increasing use of applicant tracking software (ATS) by employers, and other things affecting the job search, it’s no wonder. You may be hoping resume writers will help you stand out from the crowd.
However, professional writers aren’t necessary with everyone and you should carefully weigh your decision before taking the plunge.
So is the cost really worth it? Let’s take a look:
Pros and Cons of Hiring Resume Writers
A professional resume writer is capable of listening to your job experience, achievements, and skill set to properly highlight the important parts of your career. Resume writers can develop a document that speaks well to your duties and accomplishments while including keywords that will interest recruiters and companies.
Although a resume writer is great at highlighting professional achievements, most will not show your personality – which can be a problem. Unless you take some time making small edits to your resume after it’s been professionally written, chances are you will end up with an expensive yet generic sounding resume.
You don’t need a license to be a resume writer, meaning quality of work vary greatly between writers. It’s important to do your research prior to selecting who you are going to work with. Ask for credentials, certifications, and references. This should not be a problem for high quality resume writers.
Are Resume Writers for You?
Where you are in your career can play a role in whether or not hiring is for you:
- If you are at the beginning of your career and applying for entry-level (or similar) positions, it is more important that you learn how to write a resume. Learning how to craft your experiences into true assets will serve you throughout your career.
- Mid-level professionals have more experience to showcase, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s time for a resume writer. Instead work on catering your skills for the company and role you’re applying to.
- Upper management and executives should consider getting help. Professional writers can help narrow down your most impactful accomplishments and cater it to what companies are looking for in leaders.
- If you are looking to make a career change or are re-entering the workforce – enter at your own risk. Resume writers are trained to take existing experiences and transform them into something employers want to see, but sometimes struggle with highlighting transferrable skills.
Regardless of whether or not you decide to invest in a resume writer, following these rules will help to make your resume stand out:
- Make sure to adapt your resume to fit each application.
- Show specialization according to each kind role you apply for.
- Don’t send a generic resume for every application. Cater to the company.
- Show personality where you can!
To get help crafting a resume that will properly showcase your talents, contact Affordable Career Consulting today.